Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thing 3 (RSS, Reflections on)

I adore RSS. What a great tool! I used it in my library school classes, but the ability to have information come to YOU is so efficient in all aspects of life. It really is an example of letting the computer do what it does best. It frees up the human to pick and choose what information is worth pursuing, or what can be ignored without a second thought.

So, I know that RSS can be a very useful tool for an individual. In much the same way, it can be beneficial to teachers and libraries. What a great way for libraries to get information out to patrons! Patrons don't have to always be checking the website to see what's up. They become aware of new programs and issues that they might not have been aware of otherwise.

Teachers and schools would find RSS useful for communication of information to students and parents. It allows everyone to be on the same page as to what is going on the school world.

I found it relatively easy to find feeds. I was fortunate because I had already established a reader account, and had some good familiarity with the concept. Bloglines "search" is a great tool--I'll be sure to use it again. Previously, I'd used Google to find websites in which I was interested, then looked for the RSS icon at the site itself. Bloglines "search" is a far better approach!

I'll keep looking through other "23 Things" blogs, looking for other interesting blogs to follow. Ooh, I just used the Bloglines "search" to find feeds for "23 things on a stick" and found a few more interesting blogs to watch. I had confined myself to Metronet before; now, I have at least one outstate blog to watch.

On to Thing 4: Flickr!

No comments:

My Trading Card

My Trading Card

Metaatem.net mashup!

C O, blue coloured card disc letter o Bead Letter L Caution!