Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 21 - Other Social Networks

I had joined the 23 Things group at Ning a while ago, so my work for this Thing was made a little easier.

1. I read the articles ("Can Gather.com Get Book Lovers Online?" and "Building a Social Networking Environment at the Library"). I found the second article especially appropriate for this project. The author provided three steps to establish a social network in a library: (1) education of staff; (2) the stimulating of imagination of the staff; and (3) integrate the new network into the existing library structures. Sounds simple, but that's a lot to accomplish.

2. As I said, I had joined Ning already, and I had responded to a message from another "23 Thinger," Minnemom. To reinforce this part of Thing 21, I sent Minnemom another message. I also joined another Ning group, Ramsey County Library, which I found at Ning. I knew that there were other RCL people doing the Things, but it was great to get "sociable" with them. I posted to the wall of that group. I tried to find a "Ning badge" to put on my blog, but I have no idea what that is or how to add it. So, instead, I published some photos of the Textile Center Library to the "23 Things" group.

3. My final activity was to find another social network that might interest me. I find myself drawn to Library Thing, and I plan to explore the social aspect of that site.

I was very excited to find another Ning group to join! (the Ramsey County group). I can see how joining a social network helps to create a feeling of community.

No comments:

My Trading Card

My Trading Card

Metaatem.net mashup!

C O, blue coloured card disc letter o Bead Letter L Caution!